epike on Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:57:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RedHat i386 vs i686 RPMs for kernel and glibc

My experience is similar, so I might as well
share this experience:

I forced an install of RH 7.3
to a disk and put that on a 486 machine--it crashes.  After
days of figuring out I found that the regular RedHat
install for a "higher" machine of 586 (or maybe it was
686) was the problem---the glibc libraries crashes
INIT, so the redhat on 486 won't even start up
after lilo/kernel finishes booting (right where its just about
to start init).  This is after I already replaced
a 586 kernel with a 386 kernel.

With a 586 vs 686 I dont know
if its that significant.  If it crashes on you
you'd have to re install the RPMS for kernel,
glibc, and a few more.  Not a lot but its quite
a bit of work.

e pike