Michael Bevilacqua on Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:34:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 03:09:37PM -0400, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:56:28 -0400, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
>
> >>I'm not sure I'd count a distro that doesn't properly install my
> >>standard hardware (like a PS/2 mouse) as "simple to set up."
> >
> >Agreed. But then who said it was simple?
>
> .. That's a very odd thing to say in this context. Never mind, I'll
> figure this out myself.

I apologize, I have a bad habit of misreading/misinterpreting
thoughts. :-(

What I meant to say was Debian isn't simple to install, and they do seem
to slack off compared to other distro's installers. I feel this is
justified to the strength of apt and dpkg (Debian's Package Management
System) which outperforms all other package management systems I've
dealt with to date.

If you can get beyond the install difficulties in Debian, you may find
that you won't ever have to install it on that box again, respectively.

> I'm sure it'll take me a while, but that's OK. 20 years from now I'll
> be a better sysadmin.

It took me a while. I'm on the average much slower compared to the
majority of the people on this list. If I can do it, you can do it.

--
Regards,

Michael Bevilacqua

   ~