Bradley Molnar on Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:35:17 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

Just to give another opinion on this, I had until a few months ago, only
installed redhat and suse on intel chips and suse and yellowdog on ppc.  I
had never tried debian and had no plans on it.

I was able to figure out (with some help from this list) enough to get
debian running on a couple of sparc machines.  It worked so well, that it
was put on the alpha machine as well.  I think debian is given a reputation
for being impossible to do, but, it is not nearly as hard as many people
would want you to think (unless you are paying me to set it up for you, then
it is hard).

It does require a bit more expertise than most other distros, but, you will
be happier in the long run.  The only time these machines have gone down is
for kernel updates and power outages.

-brad