M.Simons on Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:39:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Local Computer Store Recomendations

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, JP Toto wrote:
> Anyone have any good recomendations for good local computer stores?
> Price is secondary but I still don't want to get ripped off over
> anything :-) What Im looking for is a good retailer that has everything
> from patch panels to rack server cases to motherboards to hard drives.

What I suggest is checking places like pricewatch.com and other sites
pricegrabber.com maybe for local (PA, NJ, DE) stores.. I don't think
you'll find many places that have better (general) selections than the
chain stores.

Microcenter has about the best selection for the obscure things such as
odd cables, etc. etc. and one of the best book/magazine selections
locally. (There is also 10,000 computer books - it appears to be bcb.com
although it doesn't seem to make much comment about their retail location
so I don't know if they still have the storefront.)
Their (Microcenter) prices don't seem to be too bad on the cables, etc.
Although they don't seem to have super sales like they used to, and thus I
tend not to go there on a regular basis.

When I was looking for an AT power supply replacement a while back, I did
what I recommend above - checking pricewatch for prices and looking for
local stores, I wanted to pick up locally -- so I found a local place,
looked them up in the phone book, noticed they had two local stores, even
though they were a hole-in-the-wall mom n pop type place.. I called both
stores, got a better price at one than the other for what I wanted, and
bought it.

Depending upon what you want, if you're looking for older or obscure
things, you may be able to contact NTR (nonprofit technology resources)
and ask for them to look for certain things for you.. they are trying to
start up a small computer thrift store to deal with some of their excess.
Contact Stan Pokras or Meena Raval at ntr.. meenal@markis.com
pokras@libertynet.org  http://www.libertynet.org/ntr/

Tell them I sent you.

For generic, and remanufactured inkjet cartridges my parents use
Tip Top Products in NJ, I can't find the website right now, but previously
posted it to the plug list. They also carry things like business card
sized cd-rs.

For old/obscure and vintage computers, materials, or parts I may be able
to facilitate some additional exchanges, so people can let me know what
they're looking for too (and what one wishes, if anything, to pay.)
--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org