Michael Bevilacqua on Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:58:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Gentoo Experts, I have questions

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:53:08AM -0400, Kam Salisbury wrote:
> Unfortunately, during the 'emerge -u world' step (I chose a stage 3
> tarball since it is already an athlon specific build) after quite some
> time of building... I get a build error and that step fails.

I've seen many problems in rc4 that have seemed to have spawned from
borked ftp:// source paths. Was this the error that you were getting?

If so, you can just go out to the site for that specific packages, wget
the tarball to /usr/portage/distfiles/ then `emerge -u world` again.

I'm using:

SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/gentoo/";

FWIW:

1) Make sure you don't have the `~arch` keyword in your make.conf which
will save you from downloading unstable packages. I'm not sure if having
that flag would adversely effect the stage3 package set one way or
another since I've only ever built from stage1. I do use that flag
though, but that's just me.

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

2) Here are my USE and CFLAGS variables:

USE="-3dnow -apm -mikmod pcmcia"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

> In make.conf I did specify -mcpu=athlon but not -march...

I use -march since it implies -mcpu. From the Intel 386 and AMD x86-64
Options section of gcc's man page:

       Intel 386 and AMD x86-64 Options

       These -m options are defined for the i386 and x86-64 family of computers:

       -mcpu=cpu-type
           Tune to cpu-type everything applicable about the generated code, except for the ABI and the set of
           available instructions.  The choices for cpu-type are i386, i486, i586, i686, pentium, pentium-mmx,
           pentiumpro, pentium2, pentium3, pentium4, k6, k6-2, k6-3, athlon, athlon-tbird, athlon-4, athlon-xp
           and athlon-mp.

           While picking a specific cpu-type will schedule things appropriately for that particular chip, the
           compiler will not generate any code that does not run on the i386 without the -march=cpu-type option
           being used.  i586 is equivalent to pentium and i686 is equivalent to pentiumpro.  k6 and athlon are
           the AMD chips as opposed to the Intel ones.

       -march=cpu-type
           Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type.  The choices for cpu-type are the same as for
           -mcpu.  Moreover, specifying -march=cpu-type implies -mcpu=cpu-type.

> Should I just let make.conf specify i686 builds?

This could be a safe approach since they compile the stage3 tarballs to run on
generic x86's. This sort of defeats the purpose to gentoo, even though you do
get some mileage out of the USE variables.

> Should I do a stage 2 tarball build instead?

Well, I'd lock myself in the den and start from stage 1, but then so would Ian Geiser. ;-D

> Is this a known 'broke' thing? ie. Should I have not used the instructions at
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-1.4_rc2-install.xml  like the gentoo
> website says to?

Check the forums, (forums.gentoo.org) or their mailing lists... The one time I
compiled KDE3 from scratch on my P4 2G it failed at build time due to a busted
ebuild script dependency w/ the KDE Multimedia package. The people in #gentoo
on irc.freenode.net told me just to emerge kde-multimedia && emerge kde3 again
which worked. Their IRC channel is worth checking out.

--
Regards,

Michael Bevilacqua

   ~