Rebecca Ore on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:45:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:58:41AM -0400, Magnus (chrish@trilug.org) wrote:

> FWIW, there are some real idiot teachers out there as well, and idiot
> administrations.  My kid brother goes to Pennsylvania Institute of
> Technology which apparently is a pit (PIT?) that young people sink a
> couple of years into and come out the other side learning obsolete
> skills or learning relevant subjects *incorrectly*.  The stuff he
> brings home from school is really depressing.  I sat in on one of his
> classes once and had to wonder where they get these instructors from.
> They are the sorts of people who make things up if they don't know the
> answer.

Heh, I taught in one of those once (National Business College).
Basically, they hire anyone with an MA or Ph.D. in anything (mine is in
English) and only the accrediting organization can keep them in check
(the Southern accrediting agency over the one I worked for requires
*one* four year college course in the subject to teach it more than on
an emergency basis).  I taught marketing, human resource management, and
computer systems (and Michael Toren and a couple of other people are
laughing as they read this).

In 1995, they were paying $10 a contact hour for instructors.  No extra
money for instruction preparation, just read the textbook faster than
the students.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore