Stephen Gran on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:25:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a couple of cheap boxes

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 11:25:56AM -0400, Magnus said:

> On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 11:17 AM, Stephen Gran wrote:
>
> >I am writing because the 'something else' has not particularly
> >been decided yet.  My requirements are:
> >basically noiseless (no case fans if possible)
> >small footprint (smaller the better)
> >low heat emission
> >low power consumption
> >(hopefully) low price
>
> Sounds like something based on a Via EPIA motherboard.  You can
> further reduce power consumption by using a laptop hard disk.

That looks like exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for -
thanks!  The motherboards are even pretty cheap, which is nice.  Do you
happen to know anyone that sells complete models?  If not, I'll just
google around later tonight.

> >Disk speed may be more important than processor speed, although even
> >that isn't that important - on a busy day, the mail server might
> >handle 2000 messages or so (OK, call it 4000, because of the doubling
> >caused by spamassassin).
>
> Which is next to nothing.  Laptop hard disk will cost more and run
> slower but use less juice.  Note that for awhile I was using a modern
> laptop HD for video editing so if it is fast enough for that, it is
> fast enough for a light duty server.

That was about what I figured - thanks for confirming it.

> These boxes are well supported by various free OS's including Linux
> and *BSD.

Better and better.  Something to put on my wishlist and to-do list.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Let's call it an accidental feature.  - |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | -Larry Wall                             |