sean finney on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:33:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] pre-reboot scripted message?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:49:54PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Linux modifies this a bit, using all of 2-4 as pretty much the same
> thing and 5 as graphical login. Don't ask me why. From what I've
> read of various Linux vendor mailing lists, *they're* not even sure
> why they don't just do it the SysV way.

that's less linux and more redhat.  in debian the default "everything"
runlevel is 2, 3-5 are for the local admin, and the rest is standard sysv.
i'll bet other distributions have even more unique interpretations...

	sean