Jeffrey J. Nonken on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:54:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] 7.9 G DVD-R's?

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:24:50 -0400 (EDT), Martin DiViaio wrote:
>Lastly, let's not forget the legal ramifications. According to the
>(infamous) DMCA, it's illegal to make a copy of any "copy protected"
>media
>for any purpose without the express permission of the copyright
>holder.
>This includes backups.

Which really, really sucks. Especially when you have an autistic little girl who is clever enough to operate the DVD player but doesn't have the communications skills to understand detailed instructions. Such as: Don't spin the disc in the tray (or the box) with your finger to make it oriented properly (or just for fun) because it presses the surface against the inside of the case and scratches it. Or don't touch the surface. Or if you drop it on the floor, be particularly careful how you pick it up (or even don't pick it up, get Mommy or Daddy to do it), then call Daddy and he'll use compressed air to clean it off.

Backup copies used to be covered under "fair use." ... Don't even get me started...