Craig Brennan on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:36:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

I'll address these one at a time:
- Your students are your coworkers.  Just like an office, you manage them.  They will not work unless motivated to do so.  And they are not motivated by boredom either in lecture or activity.

- Lunches.  Lunch breaks were 40 minutes.  I had a room up on the third floor of a building where the lunchroom was in the basement.  Basically that meant ~ 10 minutes down and 10 minutes back up (lunch didn't start once they were at the lunchroom).  You couldn't line them to lunch until the bell went off.

- Teacher availability.  I too stayed after to tutor as well as coach as well as to run chess club as well as faculty meetings.  Then I went home and sifted through projects, essays, tests, etc.  My work day ended on average around 9 or 10 at night. (with about an hour for dinner).  I did get extra money for coaching on average $150 per sport.

- Copy room staff?  Lucky you.  I worked in several different schools during my tenure as a teacher.  Not one had someone paid just to make photocopies.  That was a fantasy.  Many of my photocopies came from Kinko's/Staples/OfficeMax that I paid for when the school's was broken and there was no $ left in the budget to fix it.

- I have heard of the duty pager and cell phone, and I too have been called back into work to deal with backup tape/jukebox failures (usually) and hardware failures occasionally and also to do those lovely pre-planned hardware rollouts where we set up new client machines for the whole office at once.  But those are the exception and not the rule, and I seriously doubt that happens to you all the time.  If it does, time to do what I did, and find another job because your employer has bought the world's crappiest hardware and a job like that is more trouble than it's worth.  When you teach, if you truly want fair assessment of your students, you have a mountain of work to take home with you and grade pretty much every night.

Magnus <chrish@trilug.org> wrote:

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 01:54 PM, Craig Brennan wrote:

> - How many fights per day are broken up by the average IT worker?

I was going to answer that, but my place of employment is probably not
the norm.

> - Stand in front of a group of your coworkers and be interesting for 7
> out
> of your 8 hour work shift.

OK but what does this have to do with public school teachers? Granted,
there are a few exceptions, but they are just that.

> - Cut your lunch hour down to 40 minutes max (most of the time it's a
> half
> hour) - now take about half of those lunch hours and spend it
> photocopying
> something.

OK but what does this have to do with public school teachers? I
graduated about 12 years ago, and from what I remember back then a
teacher that had eight 40-ish minute periods per day plus a homeroom of
about 20 minutes in the morning got one lunch period and usually two or
three periods without classes to prepare for upcoming classes or grade
projects from previous classes. They would also stay about 45 minutes
to an hour after school (the better ones would, anyway) to be available
to give students extra help if they needed it. Often, the students
didn't take the teachers up on this offer and they ended up having that
time to grade papers and prepare for the next day.

Furthermore, copies were made by the copy room staff. Sheets for
copying were submitted ahead of time and delivered to the teacher's
desk in time for the planned lessons or tests. Any teachers that made
their own copies were working inefficiently.

Not all schools are the same, YMMV, and this was in the late 80's
through 1991. Dunno how things have changed since then.

> - Take approximately 1/4th of your salary and spend it on the materials
> you need to do your job. What? You mean your company gives you what
> you
> need to do it? Lucky you.

This message comes to you from my personal TiBook because my desktop
machine given to me by $EMPLOYER is now the development team's
PostgreSQL server. The desktop machine that is on my desk was picked
from the trash and ended up being a sandbox machine so I don't have to
break production servers for R&D work.

> - After you go home, you get to grade your co-workers work until 9 or
> 10pm.

Have you ever heard of a duty pager or duty cell phone? The less your
company spends on vital infrastructure, the more you are awake during
the wee hours. There is nothing like having the phone ring at 2:30 in
the morning and have Bob tell you to make the 45+ minute drive into
work to deal with the alarming disk array.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish