William H. Magill on Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:52:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Tech jobs and politics, and IT diploma mills

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 01:01 PM, Magnus wrote:
On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 12:09 PM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
We also pay them mediocre salaries and don't work to keep the good teachers and exclude the bad ones.

About twelve years ago Penn Delco School District published the salary of each teach, by name, in the district. Maybe Penn Delco is an unusual school district, I don't know, but these teachers were making on average about $60,000 per year with more vacation time than you or I will ever see. My wife's calculus teacher was near the top somewhere around $75,000. Hardly mediocre. If you take their annual salaries and work them out to hourly dollar figures, these teachers were making more than most IT people below management level.

This "underpaid" teachers myth is one of the best cons that the various Teachers Unions have managed to put across on the public for years.

Even in Philadelphia Public Schools, the starting salaries are enormous and they go up based on how much education you have (or additional courses you take) and how long you hang around. The quality of the work the produce is not part of the consideration.

I have several family members who are Public School teachers in and around the area and they are constantly complaining that they have to work "so hard" all year long. And then complain when "snow days" are used and they are expected to show up for a day or two of their "Summer Vacation." Don't forget those massive salaries are for 9 months of work a year.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com