Martin DiViaio on Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:06:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] 7.9 G DVD-R's?

Comparing commercial DVDs to DVD writable/rewritables is like comparing
apples and oranges. They are not the same. A commercial DVD has a maximum
theoretical capacity of 17GB. That's two-sided, two layers per side.
DVD-R only has a maximum capacity of 4.9GB (or is it 4.6, I forget off
hand). As far as I know, DVD-R can not be double sided at this time. The
standard(s) are still in flux; so that may change in the future. (Don't
count on it.)

DVDs generally use the MPEG-2 compression algorithms to fit the data on to
the DVD. Converting to MPEG-4 or DiVX MIGHT make the data small enough to
fit on a standard DVD-R. In fact, a friend took a DVD movie and converted
it to DiVX. The end result was fit on to 2 standard CD-Rs. YMMV.

The issue of encryption/decryption. DeCSS (and it's resulting lawsuit)
proved two things. Decryption of the DVD is fairly easy and it's not
necessary to decrypt the DVD to copy it. If you want to do anything else
(i.e. view it, convert it to a different MPEG format, etc..)  you need to
decrypt it.

Lastly, let's not forget the legal ramifications. According to the
(infamous) DMCA, it's illegal to make a copy of any "copy protected" media
for any purpose without the express permission of the copyright holder.
This includes backups. There are exceptions to this but none of them apply
to personal use.