Jeffrey J. Nonken on Tue, 8 Jul 2003 08:40:24 -0400

Re: [PLUG] pre-reboot scripted message?

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:29:26 -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>Typically lid-latches are just micro-switches, though Zake's problem
>could easily have been that the switch is in the hinge assembly
>rather than in the latch assembly. (My Thinkpads, for instance, go
>into sleep mode about an inch and a half from closed; clearly,
>there's something in the hinge doing this work, not in the latch.)
>
>I agree that the real solution to his problem is to just diddle the
>switch (or maybe flip some APM bit in the laptop's BIOS that makes
>it ignore the state of the lid?), but laptop hardware is notoriously
>flaky and laptop BIOSes even more so. If hanging to display an "open
>me!" message on reboot is acceptable for his application, I'm not
>going to argue.

Yeah, could be in the hinge, I've also had laptops like that. In either case, it should be a matter of getting inside and simply unmounting the switch. Tape it to an open spot where it won't interfere mechanically, and close up the laptop -- that way he can put it back if he ever needs it again. If that's not good enough, determine whether it's NO or NC and cut the wires, then strip and connect them together if it's NC or just tape the ends if it's NO. Me, I favor the "least change" action. If the BIOS can't be set to ignore it, unmount the switch.