Tom Diehl on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:16:09 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Community Service Project

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Chris Mann wrote:

> I'm in. I need some good karma for this year. I've got some red hat 8
> cd's as well as 7.3 and 7.2. Just let me know what to bring. Weekday
> evenings are bad for me now however, as I'm working till 8pm at night.
> Weekends are generally good with a few weeks forwarning.

You do not need the cd's if they have a NIC in them. Assuming this is Red Hat
all you need is to get a machine up and running with Red Hat on it. You can then
use a combination of dhcp, nfs and kickstart to install them over the network.
Assuming the disks are about the same size you could use the same kickstart
config file for all of them. Once it is setup it is as simple as booting from
a floppy and rebooting the machine again when it is done. I would suggest using
Red Hat 9 assuming the machines are at least a pentium class with enough memory
in it. If these are really old you might want to look at the rule project. This
is an project to install Red Hat Linux on old low memory machines. There are
some obvious performance trade offs but...

You might need to setup more than 1 server depending on how many installs you
want to do simultaneously but once you have 1 it is easy to clone another one
with kickstart. If they are new enough (doubtful but..) you could even pxe boot
them and do the install.

Even if you are going to install them from cd because there are no NICs in them
you still want to kickstart them so that they are all configured the same.

The hardest part of all of this is getting the inital config right. Once that is
done it is a matter of plug them in and wait for the install to finish.

For that matter if you are somewhere where there is a good internet connection
you can install it across the internet from some ftp site. Might take way too
long but it could be done.

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123@rogueind.com