Magnus on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:24:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's advocate)

On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 01:36 AM, Paul wrote:

Well, if the PCs are being sold with Win98, doesn't that mean Win98 is being purchased with the PCs? If I own a copy of Win98, can't I sell it?

Stop speculating. Read the EULA. (which will make you part of a very small circle if you get all the way through it)

Anything we can do to help out kids would be great because some parents are hopeless. Today I had a mother in my face yelling at me. (I mean, I was one inch from full body contact.)

Which is still considered assault, you know.

Her kid had my kid's bike without permission. The kid rode it back over to us at which point I asked him to get off of the bike and I instructed him to ask before riding the bike again. The kid went back home and claimed that I screamed at him. The mother took his word for it and got up in my grill. It ended fine after I took the /father/ aside to talk with him, but what the heck?! If parents act that stupid what hope do the kids have?

I sometimes wonder why in this day and age it is so hard to get a drivers license but there are no obstacles to having children.

I have much better stories of parents not making life any better for their kids, but the point is that anything we can do to help kids to become better adults than we are today is worthwhile. (Now for a tie-in.) Computers and their operatings systems are not as important as the fact that people care to take the time to do something good for a kid and the future.

Which leads me to reflect a little bit on the early exposure I had to computers pre-kindergarten. This was before the PC was around, and I happened to meet a hobbyist who built his own computer (using an electric typewriter as an input device and line printer as an output device, as well as a turtle). Lots of kids went in and out seeing that computer in his office but only a couple of us ever took interest. This makes me wonder if it might be a greater service to try to make computers available to all comers in a central place, and instead of just handing computers out to anyone that they would be given instead to those who are actually making use of the ones that they do have access to.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish