Ziegler, Scott on Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:22:36 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's

Jon,

You may want to stick to corporations as they typically are on 3 or 4 year
replacement cycles. The hospitals with their tight budgets may not be
upgrading as frequently.

Another idea may be to get the high school seniors of the district involved.
In my school district the seniors are required to do a senior project in
order to graduate and I believe that may be a state mandated requirement. We
have had discussions in our district technology planning sessions about
having the seniors put together a community outreach program, as their
senior project, where the seniors can tutor the public (in this case the
recipients of the PC's). If this could be set up the PLUG community could
train the smaller group, the seniors, and be the support for them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Nelson [mailto:quincy@linuxnotes.net]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 8:01 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Community Service Project (Devil's

Chris Mann said:
> So...
>
> If we decide *nix is the way to go, how are we going to pass the
> knowledge contained collectively in our wetware to these "eager young
> minds of tomorrow?" I suppose we could ask them to meet at a place and
> give them tutorials. But what about actually going into their homes and
> helping them? I mean, isn't that what we're doing by giving them pc's?
> We're going into their homes via hardware, why not via wetware? I bring
> this up because I'm kind of worried that the families will get the pc's
> and be happy and grateful. Then we tell them that yes, indeed! We will
> show them how to use them etc, just be meet us here at 8pm on the second
> tuesday of next week. They could have every intention of showing up but
> for what ever reason don't make it. So they're left with half the story.
> But if we not only give them the machines, but we also say "OK, if
> you're interested in learning more about how to use what we gave you,
> put your name on this list (PLUGJR), and you'll be assigned a mentor.
> Your mentor will swing by and show you how to do everyday things and be
> available to answer your questions as you go on in learning. I think by
> doing this, we not only reach out into the homes, but also reach out and
> guide. We guide those who want to, and those who don't....well....

Chris, you ROCK!  This is why I _love_ the open source community, I put
out this idea and PLUG has responded with such great ideas.  Ideas that I
might not have come up with without throwing my plan out there for
comment.  I would really like to thank everyone for all of their input.

I obviously have a lot of work to do.  First is finding corporate sponsors
willing to put up the cash for these systems.  They might be used, but I
believe they are at least PII if not PIII's.  So they're not total junk.

Now I have to figure out the best way to approach these corporations.  I
don't think that email is appropriate.  I was thinking of developing some
sort of package with what we're a trying to do and a layout of the types
of systems we are trying to purchase.  Then present it in person to their
PR department.  I was thinking of approaching major corporations in the
Chester area like: Boeing, Sun Oil, Widener Univ, Fischer Tank Co., and
Crozer-Chester Medical Center.

Chris, once again excellent idea!

Jon
--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey,
USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and
have received this message in error, please immediately return this by
e-mail and then delete it.