Stephen Gran on Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:47:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PC Hardware/Software audit tools?

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:42:40PM -0400, W. Chris Shank said:
> Just curious - but does anyone know of any free PC hardware and or
> software auditing tools? Preferably that boots from CD or FDD -
> without an intrusive install? Windows and/or Linux software audits
> would be cool too - but really need for hardware.

CPUBurn and memtest (probably memtest86 in this context).  Both can be
run either from floppy or from lilo entries.  hdparm makes a great hard
drive tester, and there is a program called (I think) bonnie or bonnie++
that does stress testing of hard drives.  I'm not aware of anything to
test motherboards or peripherals, although at least memtest and CPUBurn
will kick out some errors if the motherboard access to the relevant
parts are faulty - I had this experience with a bad RAM slot, although
the RAM itself was fine.

Hope that helps,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Let every man teach his son, teach his |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | daughter, that labor is honorable." --  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Robert G. Ingersoll                     |