Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:21:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [OT] xmacppc, netbsd 1.6.1, ppc8500

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 08:05:50PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > I thought I installed everything, but who knows. I'm probably going to
> > reinstall anyway so I'll look out for it. Incidentally, I had scoured
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/ for it, and I did not find it, though I did find regular
> > X, which did not work as should be expected in this case.
>
> X should just be a sym link to the local X server:
>
> grappa:~% uname -a                                                          [1]
> NetBSD grappa 1.6K NetBSD 1.6K (GRAPPA-$Revision: 1.533 $) #3: Tue Jan 21 22:32:43 EST 2003     gr@grappa:/new/src/netbsd/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GRAPPA i386
> grappa:~% ls -l `which X`                                                   [2]
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7 Apr 10  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/X@ -> XFree86
>
> uriel:~% uname -a                                                           [1]
> NetBSD uriel 1.6.1_RC2 NetBSD 1.6.1_RC2 (URIEL) #0: Wed Mar 26 19:22:52 EST 2003     gr@grappa:/new/src/netbsd-1-6/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/URIEL macppc
> uriel:~% ls -l `which X`                                                    [2]
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7 Jan 15  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/X@ -> Xmacppc
>
> I'd be interested to see what your /usr/X11R6/bin/X is...

It's symlinked to XFree86.

I do not see Xmacppc anywhere in the directory /usr/X11R6/bin/. Maybe they
moved it out of 1.6.1? Or should XFree86 work on this machine. It does not
work for me.

> The graphics card problem may be more complex, though, as if OF
> doesn't recognize the card, you'll never get a console framebuffer
> on it. Maybe that doesn't matter and you can still get X to operate
> on it (and just use a serial console rather than a framebuffer).
> Certainly, this is effectively what one does for second (or beyond)
> monitors for use with Xinerama (the console, that is things like
> wscons, only know about the first, and making a text console appear
> on others is quite difficult, but having XF86 recognize all of them
> is relatively easy, since it does its own probing of the PCI bus).

I see. What I really want is for X to work with the current hardware,
though I do have a spare video card. Whatever would be easier.

Anyway, thanks for the help. At this point I'm still stuck, though.

Basically, I'm curious if Xmacppc is part of XFree86 or should there be a
separate binary? I reinstalled and I installed every single base package
including X. It is possible that I am missing something here.

Any other last chance suggestions?

Fred