gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:54:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dig returns "Transfer failed", what to do?

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 08:46:54AM -0400, kaze wrote:
> Is there a way around the transfer failed, or is this e1.ns.voyager.net
> configured specifically who to do zone transfers to?

The latter. You'll have to get their permission to do a domain xfer
from them.

> Does anyone know, is there some software or web sites that generate
> all the info that would be in a zone file (doesn't have to in the
> named zone format - I'll do that part), maybe from reverse lookups
> against all the IPs in the domain's range or something?

That question doesn't make sense. There is NOT a one-to-one mapping
between IP addresses and hostnames, even if a given domain is
entirely contained within a given IP-number network. (Think CNAMEs,
MX records...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net