Keith Bentrup on Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:21:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] smashing php caching crashing -- ready for server thrashing

Thanks, Michael. Some good ideas here.

There is definitely an option to kill the child process after a
certain number of requests. I think it is MaxRequestsPerChild. I'll
try that and see if it helps. I'll also watch the memory usage.

As for the mysql session management, how do you find that it affects
performance? I would assume it's faster to write to the filesystem,
no? but maybe it's such a small difference? How did you decide on this
method if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks again,
-Keith :)

Michael F. Robbins said:
> "Keith Bentrup" <keith@lucidts.com> wrote:
>>  since we use some online groupware to run the office, we need to
>> squeeze every bit of juice out of our web server (RH7) so this is
>> what we did recently (though probably should have done long ago) ...
>> turned on compression via ob_gzhandler, recompiled php and moved the
>> session management to memory rather than files, and installed turck
>> mmcache <- now this is my best guess where the problem is
>>  since we did this tuning, apache sporadically stops serving php
>> pages
>> (html pages are fine), i don't remember the exact output from wget
>> when
>> testing but the error was something like ... unexpected end of file
>> error while parsing headers  ... next time it happens i'll try to
>> run
>> some more diagnostics but i don't want to keep the site down too
>> long
>> since we depend on it
>
> Have you tried watching memory allocation of apache processes?  See if
> they grow large after many (100s or 1000s of) requests.  If so,
> something
> is likely leaking memory.
>
> Also, if I remember correctly, apache does have a mechanism whereby
> the
> controlling process can kill and restart a child server process after
> it
> has served a set number of pages.  This may be a temporary solution to
> your problem.
>
> On a side note, I've had very good results with the Alternative PHP
> Cache.
>  I also have custom code that does PHP session management through
> MySQL
> instead of through direct fs access.
>
> Michael F. Robbins
> mike@gamerack.com