Michael F. Robbins on Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:07:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] smashing php caching crashing -- ready for server thrashing

"Keith Bentrup" <keith@lucidts.com> wrote:
> As for the mysql session management, how do you find that it affects
> performance? I would assume it's faster to write to the filesystem, no?
> but maybe it's such a small difference? How did you decide on this
> method if you don't mind me asking.

Honestly, performance was not my primary concern, and my decision was out
of convenience.  The specific app already had a [persistent] db connection
open for each page load, so the performance hit would be minimized.  I
have little doubt that writing to the FS would be faster, but I also
wanted to simplify my configuration with PHP's "safe mode" and filesystem
restrictions.  I really just liked the idea of keeping all of the dynamic
data in one place -- in the DB.  And, if I remember correctly, the
implementation is about 30 lines of code long.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com