Naresh on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:48:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Job searching continues

Rebecca Ore wrote:

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:39:27PM -0400, Jeffrey J. Nonken (jeff_work@nonken.net) wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:32:47 -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:

I'm now out of unemployment benefits and still looking. ?Anyone have
any
tips for just basic survival jobs in Philadelphia?

I'm starting to look for something like that myself... not out of
benefits, but getting close.

I've registered with Kelly Services and with HireKnowledge for basic temp work and for techie sort of temp work (HireKnowledge started out as a Mac temps shop). I talked to the manager at HireKnowledge yesterday and he said this was an unusually bad summer slump. I've also applied for adjunct teaching jobs, and had two interviews and one turndown. Haven't heard on the other.

In most times, the temp agencies have been sufficient to keep money
coming in.  Kelly lost my paperwork for a couple months, but has me in
the system now, still nothing.  Manpower was just collecting resumes,
didn't have work coming in.

I'm wondering about putting things I've taught myself but never have
been paid to do into my resume: dealing with hardware at sort of the A+
cert level.  A friend is going to send me a Mac so I can have some
experience with that OS.

Does anyone have Solaris 9 on a CDROM?  The guy at HireKnowledge said
that he didn't get more than a couple of Solaris jobs in a year (most
are Mac, Windows and Linux) but that it would be worth knowing.

Any other techie operator agencies out there?

You can download Solaris 9 for free.
Good luck