gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:03:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PGP question

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 02:59:56PM -0400, William G. Zappasodi wrote:
>     Enjoyed the encryption talk a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

Is there enough interest for me to do a spruced up second half on
modern implementations? Or maybe a second third on PGP specifically
and then a third third other modern crypto uses?

> Encryption only works on the command line.

Because commercial PGP doesn't have a batch mode and always requires
that you have a living TTY to function. Use the Perl Expect module
to get around this. Or use GnuPG's --batch. My preference would be
for the latter...

> $out = `/usr/local/bin/pgpe -f $pgp_user -o ../databases/$ofile.asc -a ../
> databases/$ofile.txt`;
>
> want to send to: somebody@sombody.com who has sent  me his public key and
> has been added to mywebserver@mywebserver.com ring.
>
> can't encrypt the file when $pgp_user =  somebody@sombody.com
>
> only, $pgp_user = mywebserver@mywebserver.com
>
> Setting path in the script:
> $ENV{'PGPPATH'}   = '/usr2/mywebserver/.pgp';

Um. I don't see a recipient listed in that command line... To whose
public key are you encrypting? Is it in the public keyring of the
user trying to do the encryption?

You can't use /usr2/mywebserver/.pgp as $PGPPATH when you're someone
other than mywebserver because that other user doesn't have access
to that directory (very much on purpose; the security model breaks
without protection of those files from prying--or, worse, writing--
eyes).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net