eric@lucii.org on Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:33:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Job searching continues

mounting an iso image in your directory tree is easy:

mount /tmp/file.iso /mnt/image/ -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop0
 ^          ^           ^             ^         ^
 |          |           |             |         |
 |          |           |             |          loop0 or loop1 or...
 |          |           |             |
 |          |           |             File type is iso9660 for iso
 |          |           |             images
 |          |           |
 |          |           This directory should already exist
 |          |
 |          Filename of the iso image

 should be root to do this

Then, just cd to /mnt/image and run the install from the appropriate
directory on the image.

HTH

Eric

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 10:50:13AM -0400, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:03:59 -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >>My impression is that what one can download for free is an ISO
> >>image
> >>which one has to burn to a CD-Rom to install.
> >>
> >>I don't have a CD burner.
> >
> >By my reckoning, the next PLUG meeeting is August 6th, and I'm off.
> >If
> >you want, I can burn you a CD.  Write me back off list if you're
> >interested.  I can do it sooner than that, if you're nearby or want
> >swing by (I live right outside downtown Philly).
>
> I believe there are ways of accessing ISO files as a drive, or extracting their data like an archive (I think WinRAR will let me get into ISO files). I don't know of any Linux methods offhand, but I know it's doable in Windows. I'd think it would be possible to do a remote install from the image, but that's just a guess.
>
> OTOH, I was going to say that you might ask some of the nice people in the list if they'd burn it for you... but it seems you have a volunteer. :)

#   Eric Lucas
The demands for war are loudest among "conservatives" and
"neoconservatives," who for some reason appear less interested in
conserving than destroying. Such people should really be called
"destructives." They don't even regard war as a regrettable necessity;
they have a childish enthusiasm for it, and they think their readiness
to slaughter foreigners proves their love of America. These
pseudo-patriots, who claim to speak for American virtue, are the people
we should really be wary of.
  -- Joe Sobran