Paul on Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:31:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Anyone else interested in a job search group?

Rebecca Ore wrote:

Just for the techie stuff -- and perhaps also some workshops on
keeping skills up. I know at least one person who felt like his brain
was turning to mush during the time he wasn't working (an English guy in
another list). One reason I got the Sparc running again was to refresh
my memory on NetBSD installs; and putting RedHat 9 on the Intel box was
also partly done for the same reason.

I'm so backward that my skills *improve* when I'm *not* working. Since it had been my task to take care of my young son, I've developed a range of new skills and improved some of the old ones. Granted, I would have never learned some things without being on the job, but, there are many things that I didn't have time to learn on the job.