William H. Magill on Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:17:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Anyone else interested in a job search group?

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 05:14 PM, Rebecca Ore wrote:
I'd like to know what people are looking for -- I'm not sure my skills
are as crap as I fear they are, or if I'm simply not selling myself in
the best way.  My current resume seems to get me adjunct English
teaching gigs -- but I would like to keep a hand in with computers, if
for no other reason than to be able to be a better teacher for
engineering students.

I doubt its your skill set.

The technical job market in Philadelphia today does not suck; it is simply nonexistent. (Even if you are looking for nothing other than a "simple grunt" type job.)

Anybody who is actually hiring is getting 20-50 QUALIFIED resumes, minimum, per slot. And those have invariably all been pre-screened by recruiters or HR departments.

Consequently they have been looking for EXACT fits, IDEAL candidates -- specific skill sets and specific experience, who can "hit the ground running" (and all those other good buzz-words). There are enough bodies out there today that they manage to get them without very many interviews.

The only "useful" resume is one which lists the string of specific technical capabilities that the prospective employer is looking for!

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com