Paul on Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:24:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OpenOffice 1.1 upgrade

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

Paul wrote:

I guess you know about apt-get and apt-rpm for solving dependencies?

Not well enough. I installed apt-rpm and used it successfully once, but have never been able to figure out how to use it again. What's a good net reference. The site where I downloaded it was very confusing.

http://freshrpms.net/apt/

"Binary packages of apt for most Red Hat Linux releases can be found on http://apt.freshrpms.net/. Just download the package for your distribution then install it as root with rpm -Uvh apt-* and you'll be all set. If you feel a bit lost, you might then want to install synaptic by simply typing apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic as root."

The icon for synaptic will be placed under "System Settings". If you start synaptic from a terminal window you will see more status information in the window. Either way, synaptic will make it very easy to use and understand apt.