William H. Magill on Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:21:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] linux to solaris x-term

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 12:23 AM, Bradley Molnar wrote:
During the brief time I used Solaris, I found that it had a neat feature to
be able to log into a remote computer from the main login screen.

The login screen was probably in fact XDM running XDMCP which is a part of the X protocol which advertises available systems supporting X connections.

It was a protocol developed back in the "friendly" days of the Internet. Today, most security conscious sites do not run it as it advertises "entry points" to anybody who cares to look -- rather than only to those who should know about them.

Recently, I (mostly accidently) was able to log on from a Solaris 9 machine
to a linux box (RH9) which was allowing remote x-logins (I think that is
what they are called).

Now, my question is, how do I do the reverse. How do I use a linux box as
an x-term for a solaris server (and also, what is the correct terminology).
Is there anyway to set this up so that at a graphical login you can choose
btwn the local system and a remote system?

Man XDM. But it will require cooperation of both ends, the client and the server. As Chris points out "client and server" are "backwards" in X11:

The X-Server runs on the display device. (your linux box)
The X-Client runs on the server. (xterm on Solaris)

This is because the Solaris Server is displaying the output of its X-Client program (xterm) on the remote display controlled by the X-Server.

And unless things have been modified to recently, (I haven't used XDMCP for way more than 5 years now) all XDMCP traffic and the resulting X-login information (your userid and password and all traffic) are in plain text and therefore subject to sniffing. Similarly, you do not have the availability of an SSH tunnel or any other sort of VPN facility.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com