Stephen Gran on Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:28:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User-friendly frontend for /sbin/tc

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:14:20PM -0400, Toby DiPasquale said:
> Will Dyson wrote:
> >Friends,
> >
> >Is anyone here aware of an even moderatly user-friendly and powerful
> >frontend for the traffic-control capabilities of the linux kernel?
> >
> >I am aware of the very nice wondershaper script, and use it on my home
> >system. But I need something that would allow me to easily setup
> >semi-arbitrary classes (based on at least host and port).
> >
> >I have looked for such a thing before, but I am now at the point of
> >writing my own. So I thought I would ask around an make sure I'm not
> >duplicating anyone else's work.
> >

> You might try the Linux Bandwidth Arbitrator, found here:
> http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/
>
> They make a real effort to produce a "turn-key bandwidth shaper" by
> default. This may be what you are looking for. Unfortunately, this is the
> only project of its kind that I know of. However, the ip binary also can
> manipulate tc constructs and I find its syntax nicer, personally. It is
> found in the iproute package.

A quick search returns:
steve:~$ apt-cache search shaper
shapecfg - Bandwidth limiter for virtual network interfaces
shaper - Traffic Shaper init script for Linux
shaperd - A user-mode traffic shaper for tcp-ip networks
trickle - User-space bandwidth shaper

This is on debian unstable - away from my woody boxes right now, so I'm not
sure what they have.  Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking
for, but I guess it's a starting point.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | I've been on this lonely road so long,  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Does anybody know where it goes, I      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | remember last time the signs pointed    |
|  			         | home, A month ago.   -- Carpenters,     |
|  			         | "Road Ode"                              |