Will Dyson on Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:56:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] User-friendly frontend for /sbin/tc

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 17:27, Stephen Gran wrote:

> A quick search returns:
> steve:~$ apt-cache search shaper
> shapecfg - Bandwidth limiter for virtual network interfaces
> shaper - Traffic Shaper init script for Linux
> shaperd - A user-mode traffic shaper for tcp-ip networks
> trickle - User-space bandwidth shaper
>
> This is on debian unstable - away from my woody boxes right now, so I'm not
> sure what they have.  Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking
> for, but I guess it's a starting point.

I had previously investigated all of these but shaperd. I had not
considered a user-space solution because I assumed I would not be happy
with its performance (I know.... don't assume, measure). Its config file
does look nice, I have to say. I think I will investigate that further
before writting too much more code.

The Linux Bandwidth Arbitrator project is very interesting, and does
look friendly and powerful. Unfortunatly, it insists on running in
ethernet bridge mode, rather than as part of a router. Its automatic
configuraton abilities would make me consider recommending it to any
non-geek users (even if they need a separate machine for it).

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman