Tom Diehl on Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:44:12 -0400

[PLUG] Re: FW: BIND troubleshooting / help

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, epike wrote:

> hi
>
> i was also following the discussions but could not find the
> flaw.  for a while i suspected the delegation from the
> root name servers to be getting in the way but could not
> find the fault there either.

He is just trying to get them to work locally, including zone transfers.
I do not think they are even registered yet. IMHO they have to work locally
before you go live or you are asking for big trouble.

> here are some additional inputs IMHO:
>

> > --> 2. You do not seem to have A records for the nameservers.
>
> this is the zone file for gh-systems.com not intelli-media.com.
> A records for intelli-media.com belong in that zone (if you put
> A records for intelli-media into the zone file for gh-systems
>  bind will complain).  You
> only need A records here if you are putting NS "inside" your
> zone such as ns.gh-systems.com (those are "glue" records to
> solve a "chicken and egg" problem).

I could not see them etiher and I suspect that is the heart of the problem.

> > --> 4. since it looks like the zone files are all the same except
> > --> for the domain
> > --> name (maybe not I only looked at a couple) I would suggest
> > --> using the same
> > --> zone file for all of them. It cuts down on maintenance. In
> > --> named.conf on the
> > --> master use the same filename for all of the zones that are the
> > --> same. Do not do
> > --> this on the slaves. It will confuse things. For the www entries
> > --> take out the
> > --> fqdn and just make a www entry.
>
> here's a handy one that i use for our "virtual" server that have
> all the same names (names changed to hide the server names):
>
> [root@magnushost public]# cat db.generic
> $TTL 12h
>
> @ IN SOA ns1.xxxxxx.com. xxx.xxxxxxx.com. (
>                            15        ; serial
>                            3h        ; refresh
>                            1h        ; retry
>                            1w        ; expire
>                            1h      ) ; negative ttl
>
>   IN NS ns1.xxxxxx.com.
>   IN NS ns2.xxxxxxx.com.
>   IN MX 10 mx1.mxxxxxx.com.
>
> ; server
>
> @                             IN A 111.111.11.11
> www                           IN CNAME @
> ftp                           IN CNAME @
> [root@magnushost public]#
>

> in named.conf just do:
>

> zone "domain1.com"          IN { type master; file "public/db.generic"; };
> zone "domain2.com"            IN { type master; file "public/db.generic"; };
> zone "domain3.com"           IN { type master; file "public/db.generic"; };
>
> i have like 10 domains sharing the definition...on the slave server
> they curiously scatter into 10 different files.

Yep!! something like that should work.

> > --> 7. for your slaves you might want to prefix your zone file
> > --> names in named.conf
> > --> with cache/ or something like that. Then make a dir in
> > --> /var/named called cache
> > --> and chown the dir to named:named. This will not make thinks
> > --> work any better but
> > --> it will allow you to keep the master and slave zone files
> > --> separate. If you are
> > --> like most people you will end up with master and slave zones on the same
> > --> machines. It is much easier to admin that way.
> > -->
>
> yeah you do have the files the same and could give you much confusion.
> personally i put my slave zones in /var/named/sz and my master
> zones in /var/named/pz .  but whichever works is great.

Strictly personal preference.

Enjoy,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org