Toby DiPasquale on Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:54:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] sendmail problems

Marc Zucchelli wrote:
I just compiled and installed sendmail, I have not
used this in years.  It is working fine for sending
outgoing mail, but whenever I send mail that is
supposed to wind up in a mailbox on the same machine
as sendmail is running it doesnt work, I look in the
logs, and it says that it cant find procmail.  Is
procmail suddenly required for sendmail to work?

No, not suddenly. It's always been that way. Let me explain:

sendmail is an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) that can send mail to other nodes on a network via SMTP. Sending mail to a local account does not require SMTP transfer. Therefore, sendmail makes use of what is called an LDA (Local Delivery Agent) to "send" the mail to a local user. This LDA is procmail by default when using sendmail. There are others, however, if you find that procmail is not to your liking.

In the past, there was a program called mail, mailx, mail.local, rmail or something approximating that which would serve as your LDA. This usually came with the system. However, Sendmail decided that procmail was better than the alternatives and made it the default for use with sendmail. This is probably why you never needed to explicitly retrieve an LDA before; sendmail in the past would use what you had lying around but will now no longer do so.

See below for more terms relating to email.

Anyway, all you have to do is to install procmail and you will be able to deliver mail locally just fine. HTH :)

===========
 T E R M S
===========
Term: 		MTA
Meaning: 	Mail Transfer Agent
Examples: 	sendmail, exim, qmail, postfix, Microsoft Exchance, etc.

Term:		MUA
Meaning:	Mail User Agent
Examples: 	mutt, pine, KMail, Outlook, Evolution, Netscape Mail, etc.

Term:		LDA
Meaning:	Local Delivery Agent
		on the local machine
Examples: 	procmail, qmail-local, mail, mail.local, rmail, etc.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036