Chris Mann on Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:10:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Broadband providers

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 20:17, Akintayo wrote:
> Hi,
>     I know there used to be information about this on the website, but I
> am unable to find it.  So I would appreciate anyone's impression of
> broadband providers within the philly area. I am really interested in
> comments on RCN's broadband products

I use RCN and am pretty happy with the service. I think I've had 4
outages with them (to the best of my knowledge) in the past 2 years I've
been with them. Two of the times was due to line problems in my area
which the fixed in a day, the other two were DNS server problems they
had. If you get the normal package (dynamic IP) you won't be able to run
mail or web servers on the noraml ports. However, if you move to a
static IP you can do that.  Sadly, they charge $20/month for a static
IP. The speed is good as most days I'm getting about 3mb down and around
864 up, YMMV.

Hope that helps

--
Christopher Mann
Systems Administrator

*This email has been digitally signed using GnuPG.*
*http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2440.html*