Robert J Squire Jr on Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:07:08 -0400

[PLUG] Consulting rates and more

Hello all:

I'm in the process of establishing a small tech support / constulting business. I'm sure that I'm not unique among PLUG members in this regard so I'm hoping to draw on the experience of others concerning rate structure (and some other things).
I'm currently planning on serving the (very) small business and home user market. The structure that seems best to me is to charge and hourly rate for system / network administration for small business customers while doing custom software based on a not to excede quote. For home users requiring support I thought that a simple ( but detailed ) menu system would be the best approach to avoid the potential uncertainty of hourly charges.
Has anyone else gone through this process and if so do you have any reccomendations? I think that the prices that the market will bear are pretty consistent throughout the Delaware Valley so geographic location is of little significance.

Also, as a (rather fanatical) Linux user myself, I'd prefer to run my business entirely on Linux and am therefore researching accounting systems that will allow me to do so. There are a number of good candidates available. The real problem comes when looking for other types of business packages. For example: Is there anyone using Linux exclusively for running a small business including proposals, quotes, invoicing, and billing? What about marketing publications?
I know that it's possible to develop custom solutions but as my schedule grows busier my desire to build from scratch grows smaller and ready made solutions running on widows get really attractive. It's only principle holding me back from utilizing them and I don't think that's a smart way to run a business.

And one last thing. I have no reservations about implimenting server side Linux solutions for customers. This is a long proven arena for Linux and typically such installations require little or no interaction from novice computer users so there's no reason to select a system with which a customer is more familiar. However I have a customer running a point of sale system written in BASIC 17 years ago and still running on DOS. He has some problem with it and wants to upgrade. I want to provide him with a solution that will function as closely to what he has as possible without breaking the bank. A windows solution adds significant cost right from the start so I'm considering Linux. The app itself will be in Python so the o.s. choice makes little difference. My question is this: Do the other small business consultants on the list have any reservations about putting a Linux system in front of a novice user? Please give some detail about factors used when making the o.s. choice.

Thanks in advance:

Rob Squire