LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:44:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Question about upgrade kernel and root partition

If you are using lilo make sure that your /etc/lilo.conf reflects your changes.

To remove a kernel from /boot just use the rm command In /boot you also might see some other files that are associated with the kernel like:

bzImage-2.4.16		2.4.16 kernel
System.map-2.4.16	map file
config-2.4.16

All of these could be safely removed

Usually -n / there are symbolic links pointing to the kernel like :

/vmlinuz -> boot/bzImage-2.4.20		Current Custom Compiled Kernel
/vmlinuz.dist -> boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14  	Distribution Kernel
/vmlinuz.old -> boot/bzImage-2.4.18	Old Custom Compiled Kernel
/vmlinuz-stable -> boot/bzImage-2.2.17

Whenever you compile a kernel or update your system make sure that the symlinks are updated and run lilo or grub depending upon what you have installed as your boot loader.

Sijian Zhou wrote:
I have RedHat9(kernel 2.4.20-8) installed on my PC. I
find there are bounch of newer version packages
available from RedHat to downloading. So I download
all of them. I find that my PC has dual linux kernel
version. The newer one is kernel 2.4.20-20.9. Both of
them seems working fine.

I have limited / (root) partition. It is even smaller
now. My /boot partition is separate partition from /
(root) partition. How do I delete older kernel to save
some space? Is it any way that I can take some space
from other partition and give it to / (root)
partition? All my partitions have useful data in them.

Thanks
SJ

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/