Doug Crompton on Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:23:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL has arrived!

Looks like I need to file a PUC complaint again! It is really kind of fun
to do. It costs nothing and it gets a lot of heads rolling. You get to
talk to the lawyers and engineers and tie up their time and listen to the
BS. I should have recorded the calls. Makes for fun listening.

In just the last few days their has been some FCC ruling that may effect
some of this. I have not read into it yet.

Unfortunately I called Cavalier today and they are not in My CO yet. They
will be soon I am sure. They are in an adjacent one. Cavalier boasts a
much more modern system then Verizon. Lots of Fiber and (they claim) that
lowers their costs not having to lease lines from other carriers. They
also have an associates program. Want to sell Cavalier services and make
money? Go to their website.

According to the sales person I talked to, who seemed very knowledgable,
they have a tremendous amount of capacity and are looking for signups
big time where they are available.

Doug

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> And, PS, they seem to have Covad bound by an exclusivity contract
> so that either Covad can provide DSLAMs only for Verizon lines or
> for anything but Verizon lines. (That's completely speculation on
> my part, but it "seems" to be the case.)
>
> > Verizon would be out of the picture all together except for the
> > fact they lease lines to the other carriers.
>
> ... which means that they are VASTLY involved in all of the above.
> Verizon owns the physical fiber and copper, and they own the
> buildings where the DSLAMs must be (because otherwise Covad/Cavalier
> would be breaking a federal regulation by tapping into the phone
> line some place other than a designated CO), so they completely
> control access.
>
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

*  Doug Crompton	   *