eric@lucii.org on Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:49:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] finding the IP

The "qx| <command(s)> |" is a perl idiom for passing commands to the shell
to be executed.  It's equivalent to the backwards quote "`" in perl or
the shell.  I like it because as long as you don't use pipes in the
command, there's no quoting issues to get hung up about and it's easier
to differentiate while reading the code than the single quotes:
 this ` or that '.

I have not had any trouble with email that was sent through a cron
command AFAIK.  I'll have to set up some environment variables though to
make sure.

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth