Bradley Molnar on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:22:14 -0400

[PLUG] Kernel Troubles

Here is my question.  A few days ago I sat down at my linux box and it
was totally unresponsive.  It had been in X and it is set to turn the
monitor off after 20 mins of inactivity.

It would not turn back on nor switch to a console (as far as I can
tell).

>From another computer, it responded to pings, but I could not open any
connections (ssh timed out as did http).

So, I had to reboot it.

I'm not totally sure what the problem was, but, I did notice a couple of
lines in /var/log/messages.*, namely,

Aug 29 04:02:01 guardian kernel: EIP is at find_inode [kernel] 0x24
(2.4.20-8)
Aug 29 04:02:01 guardian kernel: [<f8822d5c>] ext3_lookup [ext3] 0x7c
(0xc7fe1eb4))

and the same thing almost exactly 12 hours later (16:02:07).  It looks
like it occured when I started xmms.  But, I never played anything, I
only opened the program and forgot about it and went on to do something
else.

The only reason I think it was a hard drive problem is the references to
inode and ext3.  Beyond that, I don't know what, if anything, this
means.

In the meantime, I am leaving the drive that is most likely the cause
unmounted.

I just want to also ask if anyone knows whether a bad power supply could
cause only one disk to go bad (the others are fine and the power supply
has been replaced).  It is odd since this is the third disk in the same
position that has gone on me this summer (since I put the disks in), and
all are IBM branded.

thanks
-brad