Paul on Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:47:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux Printer Reccomendation?

Kam Salisbury wrote:

Being more specific, recommendations based on your personal and relevant
experience?

The low cost lasers noted at the URL you noted are no longer for sale in
the US (Kyrocera). The others listed at that URL sound great but what
exactly did you like about them? Did you actually use each model for a
period of time? How long and how well did the particular model(s) serve
you? What type of printing did you usually use the specific models for?

Would you recommend the Linux box hosting the printer via CUPS (IPP) as I
plan to or maybe my saving a few more dollars to spend on an HP with a
JetDirect that does IPP all by itself? What specific pitfalls, limitations
or client driver gotchas did you encounter for you to substantiate this
recommendation?

(Please do not take my response personally, I really am in need of
concrete advice in this particuliar area. I would definetly appreciate a
"Well... this is what I did and why..." type response if you have one.)

Check the PLUG archives. I know there was a discussion about the HP 1xxx Laserjets.

A JetDirect, or other print server device, sounds good to me if you want to pay for it. Otherwise, use a PC, whether it's GNU/Linux or Windows. Using a non-recommended Canon inkjet printer, printing is more easy, reliable, and inexpensive with a Windows PC acting as the print server.