Tobias DiPasquale on Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:12:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Solaris 8 or Linux on Sparc?

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 17:41, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 16:53, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 04:24:13PM -0400, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> > > Debian does indeed have an nis package available for the sparc
> > > architecture:
> > >
> > > 	Package: nis
> > > 	Section: net
> > > 	Installed-Size: 716
> > > 	Maintainer: Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl>
> > > 	Architecture: sparc
> > > 	Version: 3.9-6.1
> > > 	Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libgdbmg1, netbase, make, portmap
> > > 	Pre-Depends: debconf (>= 0.2.17)
> > > 	Conflicts: netstd (<=1.26)
> > > 	Filename: pool/main/n/nis/nis_3.9-6.1_sparc.deb
> > > 	Size: 179352
> > > 	MD5sum: 8b38cd4b37a31316457312c7fac6b1ce
> > > 	(NIS).
> > > 	 The nis package allows you to use the NIS services from a NIS server or
> > > 	 to set up your own NIS server. NIS is mostly used to let several machines
> > > 	 in a network share the same account information (eg the password file).
> > > 	 NIS was formerly called Yellow Pages (YP).
> >
> > That shows an entire lack of NIS+ support, which Chris seemed to be
> > suggesting he might need...
> >
> > But I think Debian's behind the times on this (as with so many
> > things).

Debian is indeed far behind the times and you won't get any more support
than what is available by googling "NIS+ Sparc Linux" or some other such
string.

If they are already on Sun's hardware, then you should stick with Sun.
I've tried OpenBSD and Linux on SPARC and the plain fact is that Solaris
and associated applications run 10x better on Solaris/SPARC than either
Linux/SPARC or *BSD/SPARC. Not to mention that I was a Solaris sysadmin
at Villanova for awhile and I never had even the slightest problem with
support from Sun; they were excellent in every regard. I use Linux
exclusively these days and I'm still voting for Sun on this one.

My $0.02. HTH

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036