Rebecca Ore on Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:10:55 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Interesting Outsourcing Article...

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:57:56PM -0400, Eugene Smiley (eugene@esmiley.net) wrote:

> Chris Mann wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 19:24, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> >
> >> Don't forget to read the other articles in the issue. Below are
> >> some that I also found to be interesting reads. What is missing
> >> from the pieces are the resources that displaced workers can use,
> >> but since this is an upper management publication it's
> >> understandable.
> >
> > What scares me more is that even if there are resources for
> > displaced workers, I'm not sure that would help. It's rough seeing
> > so many people I know out of work (in the IT sector) and more and
> > more jobs going overseas. Sadly, I don't think any of those jobs
> > that went overseas are coming back.
>
> I agree with all three statements, but it would be nice to feel like I
> can get involved even if it means wearing a sandwich board and a
> tin-foil hat while screaming from a soap-box on a street corner...
>
> Yesterday was my 4th wedding anniversary, and being unemployed 'twas
> not a happy anniversary.
>
> C'est la vie, eh?

I've ended up back in adjunct teaching.  I'm stil not quite sure what I
think of it, other than it's nice to have the writing credits count for
me instead of against, and weird to hear about people doing critical
work on me.  I don't know if it's an option for everyone, though.

My guess is that not all of it will stay out-sourced.  A number of small
specialty factories in the north couldn't move south because they needed
specially trained skilled workers.  Southern school wouldn't train high
school students in some trades because the jobs weren't there.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore