Jeffrey J. Nonken on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:47:05 -0400

RE: [PLUG] [OT] Where to get adapters for British outlets?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:13:39 -0400, Mattison, Jacob wrote:

> [...]

As I recall from my years as a Radio Shack salesman, there are two kinds of adaptors.

The first kind is inexpensive and light, gives you a lot of power, but does not work for inductive loads.

The second kind is basically a transformer, is a lot more expensive, and works just fine for inductive loads, but doesn't give you much power.

Hair driers are a big pain in the neck because they represent an inductive load (motor) and high power (heating coil) in one package. I think we sent more customers away pissed off for that than anything else. Most of 'em seemed to blame us.

Well, that plus the fact that we said they had to buy two separate adaptors to cover all their appliances, etc. and so on.

Anyway, I don't know if things have changed, but that's the way it was at Radio Shack back around 1976.

-----
Jeffrey J. Nonken
http://jnork.nonken.net/