Mattison, Jacob on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:27:04 -0400

[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

RE: [PLUG] [OT] Where to get adapters for British outlets?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stephen Gran []
> A friend of mine is going to move to scotland for a year or so, and he
> is looking to pick up some adapters that will let him plug in his
> American appliances into Scottish current.  It's my understanding that
> they use plugs with little round pins instead of our bar 
> pins, and that
> they also use a different current supply, so that he would 
> need not only
> an interface change, but a real voltage converter.  Is this 
> accurate, to
> the best of anyone's knowledge?  If so, does anyone know 
> where to pick a
> bunch of these up?

That is correct; in Scotland they use 220 Volts (as opposed to 120V here)
and the plug type is known as "B1/B3".  Most travel stores sell adapters;
try for example the Rand McNally store in Liberty Place (16th and Chestnut
St) if you're in Center City.  Also luggage stores.  Also Radio Shack; see
for example
LG%5F009%5F001%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=273%2D1413 (if that URL doesn't
work, go to, click on "batteries and power", "Adapters,
strips, surge", "foreign travel adapters".

Philadelphia Linux Users Group        --
Announcements -
General Discussion  --