Tom on Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:54:06 -0400

[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Where to get adapters for British outlets?

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 16:15, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Hello all,
> A friend of mine is going to move to scotland for a year or so, and he
> is looking to pick up some adapters that will let him plug in his
> American appliances into Scottish current.  It's my understanding that
> they use plugs with little round pins instead of our bar pins, and that
> they also use a different current supply, so that he would need not only
> an interface change, but a real voltage converter.  Is this accurate, to
> the best of anyone's knowledge?  If so, does anyone know where to pick a
> bunch of these up?
> Thanks all.
> p.s. - Sorry for the OT, but it does involve plugging in a dual-boot
> computer . . . :)

As someone mentioned, the computer should have a switch on the power supply 
near the power cord socket.  That switch sets the input voltage for the power 
supply.  Don't switch it when the power cord is plugged in.  The monitor 
probably has a universal power supply.  It should be marked 100-240 VAC, 
50-60 Hz or similar (85-264 VAC or 47-63 Hz).  If you go there is a chart of the world power 
standards.  They sell cords for also.  As long as the power cord is an IEC 
60320 type (like on your PC), you can just change the cord and not use an 


Philadelphia Linux Users Group        --
Announcements -
General Discussion  --