Rebecca Ore on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:21:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] GNU Tools for Solaris

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 04:14:27PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter (gr@eclipsed.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 03:16:23PM -0400, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> > This is a continuation of last weeks post, Solaris 8 vs Linux on Sparc.
> > I'm going forward with the Sol 8 install. So far so good. After this is
> > done installing, the next step will be getting the GNU tools loaded, I
> > assume they aren't included in the OS install. Then I'll need to get
> > BIND installed and working.
>
> Well, Solaris 9 ships with a CD-ROM that includes a lot of GNU
> utilities (and their source, relax) compiled using the Sun compiler,
> built into relocatable Sun packages (though letting them be
> installed in the default /opt/sfw makes plenty of sense). That works
> pretty well. And it's the reason I suggested you use Solaris 9,
> rather than 8, earlier.
>
> The list of packages on that CD-ROM is attached, as reference.
>
> > If anyone can point me to a download site for precompiled binaries of
> > these tools, that would be great.
>
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/

http://www.blastwave.org/

pkg-get will work with both of them.

There's also a new Solaris patch cluster to add to patch Open SSH among
other things, released yesterday.

> They install forcefully into /usr/local and are frequently out of
> date. (See why I like Sun's better?)

Blastwave installs in /opt/csw

> > Otherwise, pointers on getting it compiled and installed are the
> > next best thing.
>
> Well, if you're brave, go bootstrap gcc. It's INSTALL document tells
> you how, last I checked. If not, get the sunfreeware version. Then
> building should work fine.
>
> (Or you could pay for Sun's compiler and produce smaller binaries
> that ran faster. Sun's CC still makes far better sparc, especially
> sparc64, code than GCC by a long shot. But it's pretty expensive.)

Sun offers a 60 day trial for their compilers.  Otherwise pretty
expensive is over $1K, if I'm remembering correctly.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore