Tom Diehl on Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:55:14 -0400

[PLUG] Re: cable modem and MAC

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Paul wrote:

> So far the wired part of the network has been easy to secure, although
> I'm not sure exactly how secure it is right now.  (modem-->firewall
> -->IP_masq-->trusted_net)  All I did was use RedHat's overly simple
> utility to configure the firewall to block traffic coming from the
> Internet and to trust the LAN.  Then, I added port forwarding with IP
> masquerading to allow the LAN to reach the Internet.
>
> I'm anticipating that securing the wireless segment, the way I want it
> to work, will not be as simple.  Right now there is hole the size of
> Lincoln Tunnel in my network.
> (laptop-->adhoc_wireless-->IP_masq-->modem)  I want the laptop to be
> able to access the LAN and the Internet through an encryted tunnel.
> Nothing but the tunneled connection should be allowed.  I'm thinking VPN.
>
> So, the questions become...  How can I establish an encypted tunnel
> between a Windows laptop and a GNU/Linux PC?  How can I make sure the
> laptop will not be compromised, allowing an attack to use that encryted
> tunnel for its own purposes?  Should I not use adhoc mode?

One possibility is to run NoCatAuth on the linux box. That will force you
to use an ssl encrypted connection, assuming you configure it properly. :-)

You could also add putty on the windoze box to talk to the linux box via ssh.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123@rogueind.com