Paul on Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:23:51 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Firewall Check

Magnus Hedemark wrote:

On Monday 22 September 2003 06:37 pm, Paul wrote:

Request for scan:

My current IP address is

68.46.172.168

All tcp, udp & rpc ports seem completely filtered.

Packets with spoofed TCP headers are also being blocked successfully.

ICMP Echo ("ping") is still passing through. There is a lot of controversy over whether this is a good thing or not. IMHO, while it does open up some possibility of attack, it is still a good thing.

Somewhere en route to you traceroute is being blocked. 172.30.119.149 is the last router in the path that responded. It did take a path out to NYC within my own ISP's network before going out to Level3.net.

If you're running an iptables firewall you can specify how much of a given protocol you'll let in at any time ( see "--limit " in the iptables man page) which could help you somewhat if someone tries to flood you. Apparently I can ping flood you without getting dropped. I can also send some pretty huge ping packets without getting blocked. This is definitely something to look at. You might also want to take a closer look at what specific ICMP types you're passing, and under what conditions.

How did you gather all that data?! What can ping packets or other ICMP attacks do?