William H. Magill on Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:20:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Where to buy hobbyist electronics parts?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:45:02 -0400, kaze wrote:
I want to build a mixing board. Three inputs and three outputs with a 1/8" plug and logarithmic stereo slider for each. One input from my desktop, one from my laptop, and one aux; one output to my speakers, one to headphones, and one aux.

Duh... dense... I just realized what you were doing here...

Several years (3+) ago I picked up a Behringer MX602A from 8th Street Music for $60 bucks to do the same thing. It works like a champ... Its now been running 24x7 (like the computer) since I got it -- nary a buzz, pop or click.

http://www.8thstreet.com/
(which is really now located at 11th and Arch -- 1023 Arch)

Search for Behringer... (Good solid German Audio engineering www.behringer.de)
they now offer a thing called the:
Eurorack UB502, Currently on sale at $40. (probably not what you want)
Eurorack UB802, Currently on sale at $50 (This is the "new version" of the one I picked up... 8 channels instead of 6.)

The only hassle is that it is built for "pro" audio -- meaning 1/4 inch jacks/plugs.
However, those converters ARE readily available at Radio Shack... or 8th Street itself.
(Cables/connectors-adapters) They also have a computer recording center -- MIDI stuff basically.

(If you go into the store, you'll have to ask the folks behind the counter about the electronics. The place is crammed with REAL music stuff as well as electronic.)

(You can also google for behringer if you want to look for cheaper prices, but everybody seems to be within a couple of dollars.)

So, unless you want the experience of building an Audio console yourself, this is the fastest and easiest way to go -- and not all that expensive, especially if you are actually going to spring for real Attenuators! ($150-200 for a single stereo attenuator at retail!)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com