Jeffrey J. Nonken on Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:45:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Where to buy hobbyist electronics parts?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:45:02 -0400, kaze wrote:
>I want to build a mixing board. Three inputs and three outputs with
>a 1/8"
>plug and logarithmic stereo slider for each. One input from my
>desktop, one
>from my laptop, and one aux; one output to my speakers, one to
>headphones,
>and one aux.

Amazing. I want the same thing, if not exactly, pretty close. I think your proposed mixer would work for me in any case.

> A visit to a Radio Shack store was unproductive, nothing
>interesting on the walls, no catalogue for me to take home, and I
>didn't
>even bother to ask the staff anything. I did not find the radio
>shack web
>site helpful either insofar as seachability.

They might have a few components, but not all.

>Any suggestions on where to shop (on-line) for the pots, enclosure,
>zener
>diodes?
>
>Any EE types able to tell me if I need zeners to keep the flow one
>way, if
>that's even the right component name, and what size to get for audio
>use?

You don't want diodes. The proper way to do it is to build a multi-input preamp. You might get away with directly mixing the outputs of the devices, but diodes will clip the signal. You're working with AC signals, not decoding a keypad matrix. No diodes.

Unfortunately, while I know what to do in general, I don't know enough to properly design what you want.

http://www.digikey.com/ has a lot of neat stuff. Be aware that there are those who hate them, but they're worth a look.

-----
Jeffrey J. Nonken
http://jnork.nonken.net/