Stephen Gran on Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:25:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Seriously broken Debian package manager

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:19:04PM -0400, Mike Leone said:
> <SIGH>
>
> Pointers? I can't seem to find anything useful by googling around, but that
> may be because I'm stressed out and entering bad search terms. :-(

Does dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/something.deb work?  If so, try to
get the sarge perl installed.  If not, you can take the deb and unpack
it manually (dpkg-deb -x perl.deb temp_dir/) and manually copy stuff in,
and then manually run the postinst script.  If there is a preinst script,
it should be run before the copies are added, if possible.  It sounds
like perl is in an unconfigured state, and since all the higher level
parts of the dpkg system are written in perl, that'll screw your system.
dpkg itself is in c++, though, so if you can install or at least extract
and copy the debs, you may be able to get it back to sane.

Good luck,
|  Stephen Gran                  | The days just prior to marriage are     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | like a snappy introduction to a         |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | tedious book.                           |